KYSNZ Training Opportunities
Find upcoming training opportunities across Aotearoa on the SIGN UP FORM HERE
KYSNZ Volunteer Opportunities – Events & Clinics
Apply to volunteer for upcoming clinics with our CLINIC FORM
Apply to volunteer for upcoming festivals and other events with our EVENT FORM
KYSNZ Volunteer Handbook
Our volunteer handbook contains all the information you should need when working with KnowYourStuffNZ. For some other training materials including our new suite of interactive lessons, see below.
Training Modules (for learning & revising)
These short interactive modules are designed to help you learn the basics of how to provide Drug Checking in Aotearoa. Work through each module at your own pace and answer the questions at the end of the module to see if you understand. Your work and answers are totally anonymous and not recorded or marked in any way.
NOTE: These were developed for all drug checking organisations in Aotearoa so some of the content will describe things differently to how we do things at KYSNZ. If in doubt, refer to the above Volunteer Handbook as the magnum opus of KYSNZ practices.
- Drug Checking Sector Overview
- Sample Handling and Analysis
- Tools & Equipment
- Harm Reduction Information
How to use these interactive modules:
- Each module builds on knowledge from the last so we recommend starting with #1 – Drug Checking Sector Overview
- Each module is made up of a number of topics which have some questions at the end to check your understanding of what’s been covered. You can jump back and forth between different topics if you want to revise or skip something.
- Work through each topic and module at your own pace. Your progress will not be tracked so if you don’t finish a topic in a single session and you close that tab of your browser, you will need to come back and start that topic again next time.
- Your work and answers are totally anonymous and not marked or evaluated.
- Your organisation will have instructions on what to do once you’ve finished each module such as whether you need to notify someone that you have completed a module.
User Guides (of reference when you’re in the field)
- These are meant as resources which you can quickly and easily reference when you need some guidance on how to do something.
- These user guides are not meant as primary training material.
- You can jump around as much as you like to find the info you need, with no need to answer questions or read all content.
Other KYSNZ Resources
CLICK HERE to browse our archives
This archive contains lots of different resources but these might be of particular interest:
- Written Resources:
- Drug Information Sheets (very detailed and focused information on the most common and high-risk drugs seen by KnowYourStuffNZ)
- Volunteer Handbook
- Language Guide (tips on letting go of judgement and stigma in our language)
- Recordings, Visuals etc:
- Harm Reduction Online Workshop recording and slides
- Newbies onboarding Online workshop recording & slides
KSYZN Harm Reduction Wiki
KYSNZ Harm Reduction Wiki is our awesome new resource with lots of info and guidance for discussing testing results and offering harm reduction advice to clients.
Need help accessing it? try these Wiki Access Instructions
Other sources of information
Drug Information Websites
Aotearoa Focused Websites
Thank you to all those who contributed to the development of these resources.
This training package was funded by Te Whatu Ora, built in collaboration between KnowYourStuffNZ, New Zealand Drug Foundation, New Zealand Needle Exchange, and the Institute for Environmental Science and Research.